Friday 20 July 2012

The dumb people I meet everyday

Okay so as you know, I'm an ex military dude who is now back in school ,trying to get a a piece of paper that says I "can", so that I can land the dream job of my life. However, in the mean time, I am working as a security guard at a "high end/luxury" condo. I use "" because of inside jokes that you will only get it if you work this glamorous job, so I won't bother explaining it.

I do however want to tell you all about a little conversation I had with a resident, and the realization of how dumb and selfish people can be. First let me say, I do think the rules of this condo are stupid, but they still have to be followed for the sake of keeping my job. 

#1 rule of the condo: Do not let residents into their own condo suite using the master key. They must call a locksmith. You will get fired immediately. 

A brief idea of the situation.

A resident arrives with TWO police officers because she lost her key and couldn't get into her condo. Talk about shit police have to deal with! Also consider the tax dollars and time wasted on helping a dumb person solve their missing key problem...DUMB. This person didn't actually lose her key. She actually left it with her friend who is off slamming some random club dude. Go figure!

The following conversation between me and a resident. 

Resident: I have two police officers with me and I need you to let me into my condo, its an emergency! I 

Jon: Whats the emergency?

Resident: I forgot my key and I want to go home.

Jon: no. I will get fired.

Resident: But I have Toronto police with me! Can't you make an exception?

Jon: No, but property management might be able to. you should call them. **I actually couldn't find the number due to it being misplaced by the other guards**

police officers: can you make an exception for me ;) ?

Jon: uhh No.

**the police leave. Her friends arrive.

Resident and friends: So you can't let me in or anything? can't you break the rules?

Jon: No. you have to call a locksmith. Property management and everyone else will say the same thing too.

Resident's friend: Can you let me ;) use the master key?

Jon:.......no ( I'm thinking WTF?! is this guy stupid? That's even worse...letting some strange dude use the master key when I'm not even willing to use it myself). You need to call a locksmith. 

Resident: A lock smith will cost $100! I don't want to spend $100 to get a lock smith...Cant you let me in? 

at this point its been like 20+ minutes and I'm fed up.So I respond:

Jon: wait.... So let me get this straight...you want ME to break the rules, where I will be fired, literally, the next morning, just so you can save $100.

Resident. Yes.

Jon: No. 

resident storms off crying.

Talk about selfish and dumb people. This conversation actually lasted more than 15 minutes. I had to cut it short just for entertainment purposes. Its times and interactions like this that I lose faith in people. I don't want to typecast, but this person was blonde. Honestly, I can't believe how dumb people are and how ready they are to throw someone under the bus, just so they can get what they want. She was actually willing to let me get fired just to save $100. When you put it out a situation like this in words, it sounds even more ridiculous than when its happening. 

Lesson learned? Always re-explain a situation to the complainant using the simplest words possible. It will always make them look extra stupid, especially if the situation is a dumb one like the one I just went through. 

No comments:

Post a Comment