Thursday 23 May 2013

Catch a guy stealing your bike, what would/do you do?

When you think of how you would react in certain situations, like having your bike stolen or being mugged, you'd probably think and hope that you'd either 1) Kick the guys ass and leave or 2) subdue him and then call the police.

I can say from personal experience, if you regularly fantasize about this kind of shit or think about it, you'll probably end up doing neither of the outcomes you expected. For example, I used to think that if someone was trying to steal from me, I'd lay the cracked head. Well I can say that, the opportunity presented itself and I didn't do what I expected.

Here's what happened...


I locked my bike up along with my girl's bike to a pole outside. I remember seeing this crackhead walking on the same street and then go into the store we were about to go into. So we thought nothing of it. We go inside and do our thing. As I'm coming back to the front of the store I see that same crack head touch my bike and he looked like he was examining the lock. So I run outside (briskly walked) and yelled at him "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?". He replies "Oh this is my bike".  I tell him its not, and that it belongs to me and to get the fuck away from it. He stops what he's doing and then asks about my girlfriends bike and whether its mine also. I tell him yes and to get the fuck away. I asked him if hes trying to steal my bike and he says yes. He then proceeds to say sorry and says "Respect". I tell him to leave before I call the cops. Meanwhile during this whole altercation, I'm wondering whether I should hit him or not. I can say I didn't hit him and I didn't proceed to kick his ass. He left without any violence.

Maybe if he attacked me it would've ended differently, but because he was compliant and didn't do anything else, I'm glad I didn't hit him. Though I feel like I should have.

Anyway, what would you guys do?

No comments:

Post a Comment